Saturday, September 4, 2010

BRINGING BACK THE CLASSICS! THE MYSTERY OF CHESS BOXING!

Peace & Blessings my people......I'm on a three week streak and for the first time in this blog's history, I am posting on a Saturday morning!! Let me pause real quick and brush my shoulder off......Ok now back to our regularly scheduled program......

For this week's review I decided to bring it back to the classics. The Mystery of Chess Boxing is one of my personal favorites. It is also internationally known as Ninja Checkmate. Why it is also called that has always confused me. There is not one ninja or one piece of Japanese fighting style in the whole movie. My only guess was that ninja movies were starting to gain popularity and they were trying to ride that wave.

Instead of going over the whole plot line this week, I'm just going to focus on a character in this flick that to me goes down as one of the greatest villains in cinematic history. He goes by the name of The Ghost Faced Killer.


Played by Mark Long, Ghost Faced Killer is without a doubt the best part of this movie. Traveling the land looking for several clan leaders who conspired to kill him, The Ghost Face Killer spares no mercy on his enemies. Before he attacks them, he always throws his trademark "ghost faced killer plate" to let them know some real shit is about to go down.

Here is a video clip of the first part of the movie. At 2:33 in you will see The Ghost Faced Killer approach his first victim. Peep his laugh while he is choking dude out. Classic material! He also whoops another dudes ass using the 5 elements style around 4:53 in the clip.




Anyone who appreciates a good villain in movies can't front on Ghost Faced Killer. He goes through this movie straight fucking people up like a Chinese Dee-Bo!!!

But, like 99% of most movies, the villain usually meets his demise at the end. Ghostfaced Killer meets up with Lee Yi Min (played by Ah Po, who does his best Jackie Chan impersonation) and his teacher Chi Sue Tin (Jack Long). Student and teacher team up, using double horse style (Chinese Chess Reference) to defeat The Ghost Faced Killer in what goes down as one of the best fight scenes in Martial Arts movie history.



I give The Mystery of Chess Boxing 5 Fists. Great fight scenes with a great villain make this movie one that you have to put on your "must-see" list. I also give this movie props because it helped create this:


and this:








So stop slipping & tripping and go cop this movie if you haven't seen it already.

I'm out to enjoy this wonderful weather......have a great weekend.......

P.S.-----Props to everyone that has made a comment thus far, be sure to click "Follow" in the upper right hand area and you can follow me with your Yahoo, Gmail, or Twitter accounts...

Also you can follow me on Twitter.... @KungFuTheater .....

Peace & Blessings for now...... The Sage

4 comments:

  1. dope review. Ghostface Killer and Tony Starks need to make a flick together. Then it will be officially Wutang everywhere.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jason....Wu Tang for life....can I get a suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

    ReplyDelete
  3. The clips brought back memories. That opening sequence on the chess board is classic. I have to get this on DVD and peep it again. His laugh is crazy...Yo Sage when this site and concept blows up you have to start selling these flicks..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah the intro was classic. I already had a few ideas about the selling of the flicks...that is a good idea....thanks for the support my dude....

    ReplyDelete