Saturday, August 21, 2010

Ong Bak 3--Verdict on Tony Jaa's Latest Offering...



It's been a little over 5 months since my first review on this blog. Just about 20 Saturday mornings have gone by with no updates! What a shame! Well getting working 2 jobs and getting married can do that to a man! My apologies for the few that have read and supported me, I hope to start doing this blog on a regular basis and hopefully my readers will grow!

I spent this morning watching Tony Jaa's 3rd and final installment of the Ong Bak series. When I first copped the original Ong Bak I was blown away by Tony Jaa's performance. He had the build and swagger of Bruce Lee, the "do your own stunts" craziness of Jackie Chan, and the likability of Jet Li. I was convinced that this was the next martial arts legend. Jaa would follow Ong Bak with Tom-Yum-Goong, also known as The Protector or The Warrior King, which was another flick that was chock full of whoop ass!!

Then came Ong Bak 2. I plan to re-watch part 2 and give a detailed review, but what I can say is that it confused me that it had absolutely nothing to do with the original. Jaa fights his way through modern day Bangkok in the first Ong Bak, and is transported back to the 15th Century for the sequel as a totally different character with a totally different storyline.


Although Ong Bak 3 (which was alos co-written, co-directed and co-produced by Jaa) does continue where part 2 left off, that doesn't save it from being a big hot steamy piece of shit of a movie. I'm not even going to waste your time breaking down the story, because straight up and down it's not worth it! I really don't know what Tony Jaa is thinking, but the man who I felt was the heir to the martial arts throne is making some bad career moves.

When I copped the DVD last night, I expected to be amazed by some next level fight choreographing. What I saw was Jaa trying to flex his feeble acting skills, possibly trying to win a Thai version of an Oscar. The first worthy fight scene (far from classic, but worthy) was not until an hour and four minutes into the movie! The first hour is a bunch of dramatic b.s. that was not worth the $20 plus tax that I invested in this crap-fest. The final fight scene is kind of cool, but again not worth the time and money.

The only joy I really got from watching this movie was that it ended after 90 minutes even though the counter on my PS3 said it was almost two hours long. What came after the credits where some bullshit behind the scenes clips that were in Thai and not really that interesting so I was forced to put them on extreme fast forward.

Another funny thing I want to point out is on the cover of the DVD it shows 2 Tony Jaa's fighting against each other and it says "The Biggest Fight of All is with Himself." This would make the average viewer think that Jaa was going to play 2 characters and have some incredibly shot fight scene where the 2 characters face off. There is a character that resembles Tony Jaa, but it is actually fellow Thai action star Dan Chupong, who does resemble Jaa in a way and returns as the creepy Crow Ghost character that was briefly in Ong Bak 2. I guess they were trying to say that Jaa's character was going to have to find the power within himself to be victorious in this film, but like I said the cover will lead you to believe otherwise.

I give Ong Bak 3 2 Fists.....would have gave it one but the 3 things saved it from being a total shit bomb. 1) The last fight scene was somewhat enjoyable 2) It ended earlier than expected and 3) I give Jaa credit for giving comedic Thai actor Petchtai Wongkamlao roles in his movies.....dude is funny as hell.......





I was trying to find a good clip of the movie, but all I could find was the trailer.....watch at your own risk.....Peace & Blessing for now...The Sage

12 comments:

  1. Yeah.. watched it last night and HATED it. Pass.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Sean....long time no hear from....how are things??? Did you like Ong Bak 1 and 2?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I liked 1. Hated 2. Don't know why I even gave this one a chance... I'm about to frisbee it down Ave. C.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I pretty much feel the same way.......make a kung fu movie so I can review it......Ken Benson could be the star

    ReplyDelete
  5. I never saw Ong Bak 3 but I hate it too. From your review it sounds like a corny BS movie. I didnt even waste my time renting the move- It was that bad! It was so bad, i wasted my time even reading the review of how bad it was. Just reading the title of the movie makes me want to puke. Thanks for a new episode of Kung Fu Theater, just Pleeeeease dont let 20 Saturdays pass again without a review. Im lost without this blog.
    Thankyou- Sensei

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the wise words Sensei...when you visit the blog next, you have to click on "follow"...all you have to do is put in your Gmail, Yahoo Mail or Twitter Info and you can become a wise follower of the Sage....

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I guess it all depends on what perspective you are coming from when you look at these movies. I didn't see O3 yet but I watched O2 yesterday and I really really enjoyed it. The story line blows part one away and the fighting is equally as good. O2 was a prequal that displayed the complexities of Thai Martial Arts. I think the name put peoples consciouness in a certain place and then when they saw the movie they got caught off guard. Maybe he should have named it something else but I can't take anything away from that flick. He did an excellent job. Speaking from the perspective of a martial artist the fighting styles in this flick were incredible. The movie displayed an unknown element of Thai swordsmanship than was non existant to mainstream and it rivaled that of the samuria or ninja. It also displayed Tony Jaa's niceness with the three sectioned nunchucks and the ninja chain. Onk Bak 2 was just as acrobatic but not as flashy, the fighting was equally as good but with weapons instead of hand to hand. Part one introduced us to Tony's incredible hand to hand combat and the protector took it to another level with new styles and O2 continues with the weapons and to me he stepped it up because the story line was much tigher and deeper. Just my two cents. I am going to watch O3 today.

    ReplyDelete
  9. So I just finished watching Ong Bak 3 and despite what others thought this was a really good movie. I again really enjoyed this flick. This is not a typical fight fight fight type of flick and it seems that people try to put Tony in a box. This movie is about the spiritual journey that Tony had to go on within. This movie was about the energetic forces of good and evil. Speaking from the perspective of a holistic pracitioner and healer I appreciated the connection between extreme internal turmoil stemming from O2 to O3 that crippled and deformed him. He had to be willing to release all of the pain and negativety in order for him to heal himself. It also displayed Thai Holistic Healing Arts and Spirituality which was Buddhism. The guy on the cover is the Crow King and Tony and The Sage is right about the ultimate fight being an internal one. The Crow King was the ultimate prototype of evil and he crushed Tony in O2 which actually led to his capture. Tony had to connect with his highest self, the ultimate prototype of good in order to beat him. I give Tony a lot of respect and props for this flick and I look forward to what he will have to offer when he returns from his spiritual pilgrimage. He joined a Buddhist Temple for an undisclosed amount of time. Jackie Chan wants to do a Hollywood movie with him when he returns by some top notch writers...if you allow yourself to look beyond the stunts and action over stimulation you will discover an excellent movie.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I also would like to make one last comment on the Crow dude. We see a lot of different animal forms in martial arts. The martial artist finds the mastery of the lower animal self and the higher human self. I have never seen a Crow form before. This dude was nice. He mastered the animal but lost his human side and was pure evil. In O2 he was ripping Tony on the Elephant and Toney was fighting from a place of pure rage and revenge which is an evil place. Since Crow is the ultimate evil Tony didn't stand a chance. It wasn't until he raised his consciousness that he stood a chance. Don't sleep on this flick people!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ok Mentu Ra, I am going to have to maybe sit down and watch OB2 and OB3 together and I may appreciate them both a little more. I just feel like Tony lost a step from the first movie to these movies.

    I had heard about him going away for spiritual reasons. I had also heard that some Thai gangsters were involved w his career and forced him to make these last two flicks. Don't know if their is any truth to that. I would love to see dude comeback and Jackie Chan bring him to the states....

    Regardless I am going to watch Ong Bak 2 again and see if I can gain anything from it.

    Thanks for the comments though....

    ReplyDelete
  12. Are my post working?

    Well anyway quick review since i cant remember my initial one lol

    I felt this movie they tried way 2 hard 2 make a "epic" story but it was no where close. Now i don't hate the movie , but the story still freaks me out..

    I will say the last half hr of Ong Bak 2 makes up for the whole Ong Bak 3 Movie.. #FACT


    Kicking with my Arms!!

    ReplyDelete